Energy Storage 101
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This content is intended to provide an introductory overview to the industry drivers of energy storage, energy storage technologies, economics, and integration and deployment considerations. ES 101 may be helpful for bringing new stakeholders up to speed on the energy storage landscape.
The content is based on EPRI's Energy Storage 101 training courses. We will continue to build out the content with up-to-date content. If you have any suggestions, please email Erin Minear.
State of Energy Storage: Drivers and Big Picture
What is driving the adoption of energy storage and how do these forces influence the current energy storage landscape throughout the world? This section covers the following topics in more detail.
Drivers for Energy Storage
- Decreasing technology costs
- Increasing renewable generation
- Evolving utility needs
- Increasing utility customer choice and engagement
- Policy and regulatory changes
Current Status and Future Outlook
Energy Storage Economics
- Introduction to Grid Services
- Understanding storage costs
- Modeling energy storage
Energy Storage Technologies
- Definition of energy storage
- Characteristics of energy storage: How to understand and consider performance
- Survey of technologies: Different storage mediums
Energy Storage Integration and Deployment
- Project Lifecycle